"Travel" by Edna St. Vincent Millay





Edna St. Vincent Millay is best known as one of the most respected American poets of the 20th century. She used her verse as a medium for her feminist activism. She wrote “Renascence” one of her first and most well-known poems and her book, The Ballad of the Harp Weaver, won her the Pulitzer Prize in 1923. Even the phrase “my candle burns at both ends” came from her poem “First Fig.” “Travel,” the poem that we will discuss in this analysis, is a short three-stanza poem that is divided into sets of four lines, also known as quatrains. These sets of lines follow the rhyme pattern of abab cbcb dbdb. The ‘b’ rhyme is repeated throughout this piece to create a sense of unity in the poem.



The poem begins with the speaker stating that there is a railroad track, “miles away” from where she lives. It is a feature that is always constant in her life. Although she can not see it every moment physically, it is always on her mind. The presence of the railroad tracks serves as a reminder of possibilities that are close but just out of reach. At the present moment, the speaker is in the middle of another noisy day of her life. She is experiencing a sense of claustrophobia around the “loud voices speaking” wherever she goes. There is not one train that goes by that the speaker does not hear, “whistle shrieking.” The fact that she can pick out this sound amongst the chaos of her life proves how important it is to her. Setting-wise, the speaker does not say that there is a railroad station near her, only a track. There is nowhere for the train to stop, and even if she could board it, it is always moving passed her.


As the poem continues, it becomes clear that the speaker developed an obsession with the train and where it might take her. Although it is now night and “there isn’t a train that goes by,” the speaker dreams about the train, picturing its “cinders red on the sky, engine steaming” as she sleeps. But why is the train so important? In the final quatrain, some light is shed on the significance of the train. The first topic that the speaker brings up is the “warm[th]” she feels towards her friends. She does not dislike her life since it is full of good people that she enjoys spending time with. The second line somewhat contradicts the first, as she says that there are “better friends” out there that she does not know and will “not be knowing” because she cannot board the train. The narrator keeps thinking of the future she could have had if she had been able to get on a passing train and see herself among people she prefers. By this point, the speaker’s tone has fully developed, she is worn out by the fact that her life is not going to change. By the end of the piece, it is clear to the reader that she has become uninterested in where the train is going, as long as it will take her somewhere new. Her greatest desire is to leave or ‘Travel’ as the title states.


The meaning behind this poem is not as direct as it seems. The train is used to describe how you can choose your journey. It also represents a desire to change and to show that there are different outcomes when taking adventures. This poem is often described as “wanderlust” meaning to have a strong desire to travel. In this case, the desire to travel refers to the change and opportunities you can take. In the last two lines, the poem states that “there isn’t a train I (the speaker) wouldn’t take, No matter where it’s going.” Meaning that the speaker will take any opportunity no matter the outcome. This quote can also be considered a call to action, urging people to change and “ride a train.”




• Noor E.

Comments

  1. I found myself captivated by her poem's we were reading in class, and seeing the title of your blog caught my eye immediately! You do a great job explaining "Train" and its deeper meanings. I find myself resonating with her, and wondering where my life would be if I boarded certain trains. Great post Noor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing review Noor! I like how you are using what we are learning in class and writing about it here, though still branching out a little bit (not just writing about sonnets, but other kinds of poetry). I noticed how you started with naming the rhyme scheme, a nod to class as well, and I appreciated that. Great job getting into the real meanings of the poem, it was very intriguing to read! - Claire Hobson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job Noor!
    I like how you talk about the rhyme scheme and it's meaning and significance. I enjoyed reading through each stanza myself , as you provide interesting and detailed descriptions to follow along with. I really enjoyed your review, as well as reading the poem myself, by the way, thanks for putting the link to the poem in your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great analysis Noor. Just like Pieter, I also enjoyed reading the poem while also reading your analysis, and I immediately understood your interpretation as well as the reasoning that led you to this interpretation. Also, for some reason, I really like the word "wanderlust." Maybe I should put it in my sonnet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMAZING POST!! Just like you said for my post, you've done it again!!! I always love looking for your posts due to their uniqueness and the wide variety of material you cover. I enjoyed reading the poem itself with your great analyses following along it. Millay's poems really stood out to me while we were reading them in class, so I was excited when I saw this post! I think the poem's theme itself is an interesting one and the message resonates a lot with me. It's really intriguing how the train represents the different choices that are open to you in life and how you have the ability to choose where to go. I like how it can also double as a call to action, it reminds readers how they have control over their life. I do find myself wondering what would happen if I took a different path, or train if you will, and where it would leave me and how many possible opportunities I could've missed. You do a spectacular job at dissecting the poem, giving the readers a clear image of what Millay is describing. On top of that, your analysis was captivating to read. I especially love your use of the word "wanderlust" and your description on what "the desire to travel" means in this poem. Fantastic poem as always, Noor!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts