One of Us Is Lying



One of Us Is Lying is a YA mystery novel written by Karden M. McManus. It’s set at Bayview Highschool, and it follows the investigation of the death of Simon, a student at Bayview. It’s a typical Monday afternoon, and five students walk into detention, but only four students walk out. Simon’s death is initially considered an accident, until investigators realize that it isn’t. An online post is discovered that claims the death was planned and that the killer watched him die. Who did it? 


Each of the four students fall into their own stereotypical categories. Bronwyn is a straight-A student that has never broken a rule. Addy is a picture-perfect homecoming princess, known for her good looks. Nate is a criminal on probation for drug dealing, and Cooper is an all-star athlete. Simon was a bit of an outcast, but was well-known for creating a gossip app called “About That,” where students' personal lives are posted on there for the entire student body to read and gossip about. It amplified the toxic, stereotypical highschool environment that you see in the movies. 


The police find an unpublished post by Simon that contains life-ruining secrets about each of the four students. This provides a motive for murder for each of them- one of them must have killed Simon to bury their secret. The story follows this plotline, delving into the complexities and imperfections of each character as they try to navigate this situation and figure out who murdered Simon. 


I personally really enjoyed this book. I thought it was fun to read, and I genuinely did not know who the murderer was until the very end. I know some people say that it was obvious, and I almost felt inclined to agree, but it may just be hindsight making it seem obvious to me. I remember reading the book for the first time and not being able to figure out who it was. I also like how the book gives depth to the stereotypical highschool character types. 

- Hannah 

 

Comments

  1. Awesome review Hannah!! I remember reading this book a while back and it was interesting! You did a great job explaining the plot without giving anything away and I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this novel! Overall you did a wonderful job, and I really enjoyed reading your posts this past year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah! I've heard good things about this book on social media- and from this review it sounds well-deserved. I haven't read too many mystery novels, and this sounds like a good place to start. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting.
    This is definitely not your average basic mystery. You can't make educated assumptions right as you begin reading, and, whats more, they all have a strong motive. Personally, I have not read this book, but it sounds similar to Murder on the Orient Express. Maybe it turns out like it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Hannah! Like Maryalice, I've heard nice things about this book on social media, and it seems quite intriguing based on this review. I haven't read many mystery novels, and this one appears to be a nice place to start. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this on the book voting contest and I was rooting for it to go into the semi-finals. Actually looking into it though, it sounds like a great mystery novel. I really like the idea of reading about four conventionally opposites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I disagree! I didn't like this book too much (for the reason you said), but I do agree that this book does a good job providing depth into typical high school stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review Hannah! You did a perfect job of explaining the premise of the story without giving any unnecessary details/spoilers. I have heard many great things about this book over the course of the year, and I would be interested in reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job describing the characters! I bet it was Bronwyn... it's almost always the person you would least expect. He was the "innocent" one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts