"Dreams" by Langston Hughes



What is the first thing that comes to mind when someone says “dream”? Langston Hughes, a writer who was a leading figure in the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920s, believed that dreams give life purpose and meaning. In his poem, “Dreams,” the narrator warns the reader that abandoning hopes, aspirations, fantasies, etc., steals the vitality of life. 


The narrator begins by advising the reader to hold on to their dreams, showcasing the pain of life without them. The speaker compares the pain to a “broken-winged bird / That cannot fly,” a creature in suffering that has lost one of its defining traits. The idea is that without dreams, one may lose a part of themselves. This comparison also suggests that dreams are a defining trait of humanity that drives and sustains people. A life without dreams is painful, frustrating, and deprived.


Another comparison to a dreamless life is “a barren field / Frozen with snow.” Unlike the bird that is alive and may heal, the field can not sustain life. Indicating that the pain felt from such an experience may not just be a passing phase but an emotional or spiritual death. Dreams, defined in the dictionary, are fantasies or illusions adding significant meaning to the metaphor. It suggests that life is harsh, cold, and empty when seen as it is. 


The narrator urges people to hang on to their dreams along with a warning on the future. There is a shift in tone from the first stanza to the second, while in the first verse, it says, “If dreams die,” the second verse states ”when dreams go.” The second indicates that nothing can keep dreams alive for long. Dreams are not permanent like most things in life, and losing them is just a matter of “when” not “if.” Their loss brings pain and emptiness. The poem argues that dreams are a vital source of pleasure, strength, and sustenance. Without the dreams of today, there is no tomorrow.


• Noor


Comments

  1. Amazing review! I really like how you focused on how the poem defines dreams and the differences between both verses during your summary of the book. I find the author's view on dreams very interesting, and I am definitely going to read this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Noor!
    I agree with Max. I really liked how you focused on how the poem defines dreams and talks about how they work. I am very interested.
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! It's really interesting to see someone review a poem for a blog review, and I think you did an amazing job. Langston Hughes was an incredible author, and I think that this is one of his best pieces of work! The comparisons in this poem were spectacular, building a great image. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing post as always, Noor!! I love how you go into depth about dreams and how much they are important to us and our life. I think this formatting was unique and I love how you give quotes of the poem. Your analyses were great and super interesting to read about. I especially adore this line in your post: "without the dreams of today, there is no tomorrow." Again, I love the uniqueness of your posts and how you don't always write about books. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I love the way you describe dreams. I also like the way you analyze the poem at the end! I will definitely check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Noor, this review was truly brilliant. Your interpretation of the poem was excellent, and I really enjoyed reading it. I don't usually enjoy reading poems, but I might just have to check this one out. Overall, I think that this was a great review keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good work Noor. This is quite different from what I usually see in blog posts; instead of a book you are reviewing a poem which made it much more interesting to read. I like that you analyze the deeper meaning of every sentence. I think the concept of dreams in an interesting topic and I might check out this poem later.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts